Career Focus Working in technology-related fields that allow me to use my variety of communications skills to pursue creative solutions and generate results in innovative surroundings. I always strive to keep a creative, editorial and writing focus on organizations that promote social equality, education, culture, and art.
Work and Volunteer Experience
Goodreads, Advertising Marketing Coordinator, San Francisco, CA
Go Overseas, Volunteer Abroad Director, Berkeley, CA
December 2011-April 2013
- Manage and market all listings and content as well as writing, editing and sourcing content. solicit and review pitches, hire writers, edit articles, publish on Drupal with HTML
- Manage social media accounts (blogs, Twitter, Google+, Facebook, etc.) with more than 10K followers through variety of marketing strategies & tools (Buffer, HootSuit, etc.)
- Link development/SEO though online communities, building relationships, connecting with the volunteer travel community
- Organize, implement and oversee all company activities and projects related to marketing of the Volunteer Abroad site.
- Monitor and track site’s analytics via Google then create strategies to decrease exit and bounce rate while increasing “click throughs” and time on site.
- Manage all client and user accounts on the Volunteer website
Food Marketing Resources, Marketing & PR Assistant, San Ramon, CA & Tigard, OR
2010 – 2013
- Assist with Foodservice Marketing and Public Relations projects for clients Driscoll’s Berries and USA Pears, including graphic design, media tracking, and creation of photo and recipe pitch binder.
Miss Representation, Social Action Rep, San Francisco, CA
September 2012 – October 2012
- Social Action Rep (volunteer) for Miss Representation.
- Spreading the word about the media’s representation of women through social media.
- Committee member for October Fresh Face Fridays campaign.
ProWorld Volunteers, Community Development Intern, Oaxaca, Mexico
October 2011 – November 2011
- Intern at community development projects working on general support, promotions, community presentations, events, interviews, evaluations, marketing materials, and more with:
- Mundo Ceiba: nonprofit working to raise environmental consciousness in Oaxaca through reforestation projects and bicycle education/promotion
- The Oaxaca Learning Center’s women’s group: Group of young women who come together to support each other and discuss issues related to rural and urban women’s rights, especially violence, education and self esteem
Intrax, PR Intern, San Francisco, CA
July 2011-December 2011
- Media relations: generate press coverage, pitch to the media, create media lists through Cision database and Internet research, generate press releases, create clip book of press coverage, press releases and internal communications
- Social media: edit blog posts, research and create content, create comprehensive lists and analyses of current social media accounts for all brands and regions
- ProWorld intern in Mexico (upcoming): PR activities from the field including create content, photos, video, visit project sites, intern at community development projects (Mundo Ceiba and The Oaxaca Learning Center)
Kahlo Cultural Center, Co-Founder and Event Coordinator, San Luis Obispo, CA
January 2011-June 2011
- Establish the organization to give community members of all ages a safe, fun, creative space to gather, support each other and share ideas
- Manage marketing and promotion materials including flyers and social media (blog, Website, Facebook)
- Plan variety of events, including art shows, concerts, film screenings
Cal Poly Arts, Marketing Assistant, San Luis Obispo, CA
September 2009-June 2011
- Contact current and potential advertisers and sponsors to sell ad space and sponsorships
- Monitor ticket sales and media coverage to measure public outreach numbers
- Promote events using traditional and new media including social media, posters and email blasts on Vertical Response
- Assist with donor and customer relations at performing arts events
KCPR, On Air DJ, Promotions Director, Programming Director, San Luis Obispo, CA
September 2007-June 2011
- DJ for regular format show and special format shows dedicated to celebrating all genres of women in music
- Promote and fundraise on campus and in the community through events and promotional materials
- Programming, create on air schedule (2008-2009)
American Red Cross, Public Relations Intern, San Luis Obispo, CA
September 2009-October 2010
- Create marketing materials, event planning, manage social media (blog, Facebook, Twitter)
- Plan and organize Swim-A-Cross fundraiser, the first annual fundraiser for the community at four locations
- Promote Red Cross Month 2010 events, create campaign, design brochures and other marketing materials
Additional work and volunteer experience with Food Marketing Resources, ProWorld, Big Brothers Big Sisters, The Cal Poly Community Center, The Housing Authority of SLO Learning Center, DIY SLO, Central Coast Railroad Festival.
- Graphic communications programs Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign
- Social media sites and website platforms Drupal, Dreamweaver, Facebook, Blogspot, WordPress, Twitter, LinkedIn
- Strong communication, writing, and editing skills
- Speaking, writing and reading Spanish proficiency
California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, CA, graduated March 2011
- B.S. in Journalism, Focus: Public relations.
- Minors: Spanish and Latin American studies, focus on Women’s and Gender Studies
- Senior Project: Social Media and Nonprofits: Increasing Fundraising and Volunteerism for the Kahlo Cultural Center